forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

My life philosophy? Never take the easy way out-Rekiya Abidemi Yusuf, actress

'Life has taught me patience!'

Rekiya Abidemi Yusuf, is 25 and she is the fourth of five in her family. This indigene of kogi state who was born and bred in Kaduna is fun to be with. The Microbiology graduate of kogi State University  told ADAEZE AMOS in this interview why she abandoned Microbiology for acting.
You studied Microbiology, why did you now opt for acting?
(Laughed for long). I knew you were going to ask me this question. Well, for me, I never really gave acting a thought, but after practicing Microbiology for a short while at kaduna Refining and Petrochemicals,  I realized there was no way I could do this for the rest of my life. Back in school then I used to host a few campus shows and it gave me so much pleasure. So, I decided to try out my hands in the entertainment industry and found myself in acting school and the rest is history.


How many movies have you featured in?
I have featured in a few movies and series like The Calabash by Obi Emelonye, Ojays by Paul Igwe the producer of Clinic Matters, Desperate House Girls by Iroko TV , Spotlight, a student movie by Emem Isong among others and most recently Fine Girl by Uduak Isong

Would you consider yourself as being in the limelight already?
Not yet! I just started my acting career because I've only been acting for approximately a year now. I wouldn't exactly say I'm in the limelight. Not yet. But I have worked with renowned names in the industry and I think that's a pretty good start.
What’s your most challenging movie role and why?
 My most challenging movie role was the role I played in the Calabash because my character was a marketer in a bank that was  up for closure. Hence had to take stringent measures to stay in business. I was battling a terminal disease and also had to deal with the pressure of work. My character was emotional and it was  a little bit challenging getting into character sometimes. But I did  it and here we are.
What thrills you most about acting?
 It is the fact that I can be anybody. Today a market seller tomorrow a medical doctor and next tomorrow a village champion and next a sophisticated urban socialite. It trills me because it's a gateway for me to take a break from my reality.

What was the craziest thing a male fan has ever done to you?
Well so far I have gotten just smiles. Nothing crazy yet.

What do you think acting took from you?
I missed time with family and friends. I missed opportunities and good  moments.

Aside from acting, what else do you do?
 Aside from acting I also work for a fashion label Sly Monay Fashion as the Operations Manager. We create very stylish native collections which can serve as an alternative to suits on red carpets and formal events.
What lesson has life taught you as an actress?
Life has taught me patience! At times, from attending auditions, waiting for call back which sometimes won't come but then again you cannot quit just because you didn't get a job. Just keep going at it. Like veteran actor Olu Jacobs said ‘keep doing! Don't stop until you get there.’

What is your life philosophy?
Never ever take the easy way out. It always comes with a price and often times than not it takes it’s toll

If in the nearest future you are married and your hubby ask you to quit acting, would you oblige him?
  I cannot be with someone who doesn’t support my career as an actress. We won't even get to the altar let alone  think of quitting a career. But he'll need to be very understanding because it won't be an easy one

What part of you do you flaunt proudly?
The best fashion accessory anybody can have is a beautiful smile. Because I've been told that I have a dubious, yet charming smile, I would proudly flaunt my smile on any outfit.

A bit on your love life, who is the guy rocking the love boat of your life?
 That is a very private aspect of my life.

What are the qualities of your ideal man?
Above all things he must fear God. He must be selfless and understanding, down to earth and intelligent.
What puts you off people?
 Arrogance! I can't stand it.
When you had a heartbreak what did you do to get over it?
 I don't think one can completely get over a heart break. But what I did was to get busy in such that I have little time to think about it. But to me, the best way to get over a heartbreak is to love the next the person that comes along as much as you loved the last. And don't let broken heart make you bitter.
Are you proud to be a woman?
Well I'm a feminist. I'm a huge fan of Chimamanda Adiche. I most especially love her quotes encouraging women to be more women. Believe me, today’s women are taking over the world. Believe it or not we are much more than we are being given credit of and times after time we continue to prove society wrong for thinking us second fiddles.

What’s the naughtiest thing you have ever done?
I’m too embarrassed to share it.

But I insist
Okay let me say it. When I was in high school,  I used to steal my older sister brand new under wears and wear them to school. On this faithful day she found out it was me, she came to my class during lunch break and asked  me to take them off right there. I was embarrassed beyond myself. Anyway, we ended up in the staff room.



4 comments: