forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Thursday, June 30, 2016

‘My fiance ditched me because I’m epileptic’ (2)


This is the conclusion of Eucheria’s story. She had epilepsy, an infirmity she was born with, which had continued to bring her shame and disgrace starting from her childhood, to the time she was in the university and up  till date. The major disgrace happened on her matriculation day.  As she was about taking some shots with Dora her mum, she had an epileptic attack which brought her down to the floor. Such attack never stopped because it prevented her fiance from marrying her. Below is the rest of the story.

Eucheria  had asked God repeated in her prayers why she had such an infirmity. But the more she asked, the more she had a deafening silence. “But that never made me stop praying. I have asked my mother same question;  what offence I committed to have such infirmity, and she said none that she could lay hands on but that I should continue to pray.
“And prayers I have continued, never relenting. It was after praying in tears in my room one day that my roommate suggested we visit the school clinic. She decided to go with me.   When we got to the reception of the hospital, I suddenly started having severe migraine and before I could say Jesus is Lord, I lost consciousness.  After ten minutes or there about, I regained consciousness and I saw all the nurses gathered round me, including Nmachi my room mate who brought me to the clinic. They all looked rueful  and when I came round, they lifted me up from the floor and I sat back on the same seat I was before the epileptic attack jolted me.
“I was now allowed to see the resident doctor even before it got to my turn. I told him what my problem was, she then placed me on  drugs which she said  I should be taking  before I sleep because they would definitely  sedate me. I was taking them diligently and what they succeeded in doing was to make me feel drowsy and I slept longer. The drugs were good tranquilizers, they helped to calm me down but my epilepsy was not cured. I was thinking I would be cured. The attack came up again after six weeks from the date I went to the school clinic and Nmachi my roommate who really showed compassion on me decided to call her elder brother who was not living in the country to help me buy some drugs abroad for me.
“Nmachi was more like a sister to me than a friend. We were roommates and course mates (classmates). She ignored a farce story she heard from our fellow course mates then that epilepsy was contagious. She took her time and read on the internet and was convinced that it was a mere rumour. She continued to care for me and we became  bosom friends. When her brother returned, he actually brought some drugs which I was taking. Honestly, those drugs actually helped me. They never made me sleep because I was also taking them before going for lectures. The drugs had some relaxing effects and helped to stop my regular severe headaches that I usually have before the attack,” she recalled.
Eucheria’s attack started again when her drugs finished and Nmachi’s brother had gone back. “I searched for the drugs in all the pharmaceutical shops around me but I couldn’t get all of them. The most important ones I used to swallow as if my life depended  on it when I begin to notice the symptom were scarce.  So, my shame which had been nipped in the bud for two years still found me. I was having attacks sparingly. When I noticed that it usually stroke me when I was in the midst of maddening  crowd or when I  was excited, I started avoiding such situations. That was why I never attended any party while I was on campus.  Not that I didn’t want to go, but because of my health condition, I avoided party like a plague.  My activities revolved round lecture rooms, library, cafeteria and back to my hostel with Nmachi who never left me on my own. She was always there for me and at times when she was going home to see her parents, I would follow her home. She was from a financially endowed family and her parents were warm and welcoming especially her mother. She told them about me, in fact, she never hid anything from them and they usually showed me love and compassion,” she enthused.
The very incident which this young lady would never forget  in hurry happened when Tony, her fiancé  ditched her because of epilepsy. “I met Anthony whom I fondly call Tony at  Yola Orientation camp. We served together in Yola for one year. We became friends right from the camp and the relationship gradually culminated to a sizzling affair. We were very close, I told him everything about my humble self except my health condition. I told him how I lost my dad, how my mum had been there for me and how my uncle maltreated my mum in the village when my father was no more. So, much that she had to leave the village for Onitsha, to stay with her younger sister whose husband was caring. There she lived until her business started booming and she was able to get an apartment of her own.
“But Tony’s  own story was totally different from mine. Tony was from a well to do home. His father had series of companies. He never knew what it meant to be hungry. After our youth service, Tony proposed marriage to me. I agreed after bringing him home to see my mum because he insisted. The very day he brought his parents and few of his close friends to see my uncle who represented my late father and my mother was the day I was disgraced. They came to see my people just to declare their intentions. My mum was happy and I was excited. When his parents needed to see me for the first time, was when my shame came up.  I was called by my mum to come out and greet our guests, suddenly, the severe headache started and I lost consciousness and started wriggling on the floor. I had some foams coming out from my mouth as usual each time I was attacked. I was told that Tony was shocked, his parents too were shocked and my uncle who never liked it that I was getting married before his daughter was asking Tony if I never told him I was epileptic right from birth.
“When I came round, I saw my uncle giving Tony back the bottle of hot drink and twenty-one naira they brought to my uncle according to tradition. This meant that their intentions had been canceled. Anthony was angry that I never told him I had such a health challenge. That was how I lost Tony till date,” she said, in an emotion laden voice.

Readers that’s Eucheria’s story. Reach out to her please.

No comments:

Post a Comment