forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

'Getting away with many things simply because I am a woman thrills me'


 
 By ADAEZE AMOS

Princess Amaka Anakwe whose chieftaincy title is 'Adaigbo 1 na Nollywood’ is from Abatete in Idemili North local council of Anambra State. This chummy lady is the eight child of Chief and Mrs John Anakwe (Ichie Ezewulu) from Anakwe dynasty of Umudunu Agbaja, Abatete.

She said: “I am a social activist, businesswoman, motivational speaker and girl- child-rights-advocate. I started social activism in June 2013 when I launched my first brain-child Corporate Social Responsibility Africa Awards (COSRAA), a platform through which we encourage and appeal to governments, organisations and people of Africa to apply ethical measures when doing business on the continent. This includes taking into consideration international rights, standards and the way they affect changes in the lives of people and communities where they operate.
“We set out to encourage peace, harmony and to promote development in our society. COSRAA also is set to launch the first edition of its magazine as we have seen that through awards alone, we cannot reach a larger segment of the society. Our aim now is to let every individual in Africa know that there's always something you can do to impact on the society, government cannot do it alone and that development of our nation lies in the hands of every individual.”
Princess Anakwe has mapped out a lot to touch the lives of the citizenry and humanity as a whole. Just recently, she founded Society Women Advocacy Group (SWAG), a non-governmental organisation cut out to support and introduce resources to raise the self esteem of the girl-child. It is also to address the social, economic, political and health needs of poor rural women vulnerable to patriarchal and traditional social pressure. I have also introduced ‘Love Is Endless project’ to the line of activities of COSRAA as a way of giving support to the less-privileged and the abandoned sick in our society, she revealed.
Princess Anakwe studied Economics at the University of Port Harcourt. She received a diploma in Journalism from Midland Graduate Institute, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Besides founding NGOs, she also has passion for acting.
“I joined Nollywood in 2011 after a brief encounter in 2009, but before that time, I've done numerous stage plays while I was in school. I'm a creative person; acting is an art, very diverse, engaging and also adventurous. It's the adventurous, creative and entertaining aspect of acting that attracted me to Nollywood. Also, the need to be a voice in the society as Nollywood gives one a platform to be known is the major advantage,” she stressed.
This adventurous woman told Sunday Mirror what makes her happy about being a woman in a male-dominated society.
“Getting away with many things simply because I am a woman. Second, being regarded as a weaker sex when the opposite is the case helps me to get away with many things; but it never denies me the power to exert my authority. I'm from a royal home. It is the royalty in my family line that followed me; so it was no surprise when I won the hearts of many to be given the title ‘Adaigbo 1 na Nollywood’.
“Also, no one can dispute my leadership quality. I thank God for this because leadership is a gift from God. It reflects in me wherever I am. I'm an honest person, I stand on the truth no matter the consequence. It's one thing my father taught me and my siblings. I hate injustice and love the good of people, which is one reason I became a social activist. I believe these and the grace of God brought the title for me because there are many in the industry more qualified and well known than me,” she emphasised.
Princess Anakwe has used her platforms as an actress, chief and her non-governmental organisations to touch lives. Indeed, she has been able to give back to the society tremendously.
“I've been doing a lot of advocacy. I have also set up a project known as ‘Love Is Endless’, which focuses on helping the less-privileged and the abandoned sick among us. We can never give enough, love is truly endless. I'm also in conjunction with some other organisations currently working out a way to give support to the disadvantaged women in the rural communities, who have desire to start up petty trading but lack support. I want to map out a plan to give them support," she said.
Interestingly, her lifestyle has changed, to conform to her status as a chief.
“Being a titled person means living a life of discipline, a life worthy of emulation because the title automatically makes you a role model. As a titled person, I can't wear certain styles of dresses to occasions. Such styles as minis, open dresses that would expose my body or English attire, I can’t wear to occasions. I can't go to a club and start dancing like every other person. I can't eat openly in a public place and so on. The title entails discipline. Those that know me knew how I used to dress to occasions. I loved looking sexy though in a classy way but now, I have to dress to depict the authority I carry,” she affirmed.
What actually makes her day?
“Seeing a smile on the face of a person I rendered help to. Another thing that makes me happy is when I accomplish a task, on a lighter note, when I see credit alert on my phone,” she laughed.
Her life’s philosophy is, “Do good to people, whichever way you can, whenever you can and however you can and do unto others what you want them do unto you.”
Life has taught her that, “God is the answer to everything, trusting men is like building a house without strong foundation, that life is more fulfilling when we make ourselves available to the service of others and in giving, we receive,” she said.
This amiable lady is not one of those that think that marriage is less important. She says she is ready to settle down “when my ideal man finds me.”
What qualities of does she need in her ideal man. “My ideal man is one with conscience, he must be Intelligent, truthful, caring, have a good sense of humour. He should have carriage, be handsome and of course godly,” she declared.
This style aficionado used to bear Amaka South, “because I stayed for a long time in South Africa. It actually came from my friend Ambassador and before you know it, it's everywhere but now that I'm home, and a titled person, it will be inappropriate to be addressed that way again, I'm addressed as Princess now or Ada Igbo 1 Na Nollywood,” she explained.
Fashion to her is “simple and classy. I don't really like when one's dressing appears too busy, or when ladies go naked in the name of fashion as is the craze in the world now. To me, that’s an eyesore! A lady must not put everything out in the open, if you must show, make it a little. Putting everything out in the open or going naked in the name of fashion or even looking like a masquerade is bad dressing. Ladies should always keep it simple and classy. Always wear styles that will suit your body. That way, you would retain your natural beauty,” she counselled.


No comments:

Post a Comment