forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Friday, August 14, 2015

I’m happy to be a woman in a man’s world-Kim Soma

‘I wouldn’t want to change my gender for anything- Kim Soma
Kimberly Soma, whose friends and fans fondly call Kim is a style aficionado. This young lady  from Abia state is  a medical doctor in the making, presently an undergraduate of Medicine and Surgery at Babcock University. She  is the first in the family of three, a billboard model, a breast cancer awareness agent and a female activist. She   loves looking good and wouldn’t compromise that for anything.  This diva who has passion for sketching talks about how bad she feels when any woman kicks the bucket because of breast cancer. She believes if the lump is dictated early and a quick step for solution is taken, no woman would die of breast cancer.



What makes you happy as a female?
I’m happy to be a woman  in a man’s world. And being a woman is not easy because we are expected to think like a man, act like a lady, love like a wife and mother,  run our homes properly and work like a horse which most women  are doing  and its amazing (giggles).  Women are unique believe me, maybe  because of how we  are able to juggle a lot of things together at the same time. My mum does that a lot with ease. I must say she  inspires me a lot;  she is a very strong woman and she brought me and my siblings  up well. Therefore I’m proud to be a woman and wouldn’t change my gender for anything.

What do you do to look good?
Looks may not be everything, but it sure doesn’t hurt to be easy on the eye. Looking good involves the right attitude, right lifestyle, tips and tricks to up your sleeves.  To look good I eat right, get enough excercise to stay in shape because it’s the perfect way to start  and everyother thing can be complimentary. I take a bath at least twice a day, drink plenty of water which not only helps you loose weight but helps your skin glow. I never wear make-up to bed. Also, I stay away from carbonated drinks, caffiene,  nicotine, and alcohol. They shouldn’t be substitute for water. And to compliment it all I use body lotions and cosmetics that suit my skin and won’t cause any irritation.

What is the style you won't be seen wearing?
I won’t be seen wearing clothes that are bigger than my body frame. They not only make you look like you borrwed them but they would make you look  shabby. Maxi gowns and skirts are not bad, but wear the ones that compliment your figure. You also woudnt catch me doing the colour-blocking thing.  It’s one trend most girls have embraced but one should know how to get it right always. I personally don’t consider it trendy, so you would never find me in an outfit like that.  I love to combine my colours perfectly.

Can you define your style?
My style is a combination of simple, classy, chic, sexy but super comfortable. I follow trends but not to the core because I like to stand out even while wearing clothes in vogue.

What is the common fashion blunder obvious in our women?
Like I said earlier, the colour-blocking thing is a trend that so many ladies have embraced, but some seem to blow it out of proportion making them look like clowns. If you want to clour-block you just have to get it right. I thank God this trend has taken a bow out of fashion circle.

You are a Medical student, why did you opt for that course?
Growing up I have always been quite curious about the human body, how it fuctions, why it fuctions in certain ways and stuff like that. And I think doing my course has helped me figure these things out in a way.To be frank,  I love the course  I’m studying. If I’m  asked to choose again I’d choose the same course. Many have asked this same question, why didn't I choose something else because as a woman that I  wouldn’t  be able to be a medical doctor and handle a family life and all sorts. But I tell them gender shouldn’t be a barrier, it shouldn’t stop you from doing something you have passion for. Although Medicine used to be a male dominated course before, I’m proud and  happy to see women opting for it now and are successfully running their home fronts which is not easy.  But nothing good comes easy, remember?

What are the things most girls do to look good that you think could be harmful to their health?
So many girls now wash their skin(Suana Baths) which inreases the risk of skin cancer. A large percentage of girls for lack of any other way to ruin their lives have decided that bleaching out their skin is the only way to look beautiful. But what they don’t know or seem to be ignoring is the dangerous  side effects these things cause. Some use creams not priscribed by  dermatologist but picked up in one shop or the other mixed by untrained persons. Some don’t even know the content of mixed creams they use. This products can cause a lot of side effects like thining of the skin, uneven skin colour, redness, intense irritation and so on. I advise you love your own skin colour be it light-skinned or dark-skinned. Get good lotion/ cream that suit your skin type and eat well nourished food and you will  see how radiating and beautiful your skin would be.

Whats your life Philosophy?
I base my life philosophy on this very quote by C.S Lewis whch says “Hardship often prepare an ordinary person for an extra-ordinary destiny”. I believe nothing good in life comes easy, life is going to knock you left and right, but it’s only preparing you for a brighter future.  You just have to brace up and work towards it.

What are the fashion blunders you have committed?
I once wore a zebra printed top on a leopard printed skirt. I felt nothing was wrong with it initially till my mum corrected me and told me it was a fashion blunder to wear print on print. Well I learnt from my mistake and I don’t think I would commit such a blunder  again.

Who are  Nigerian celebrities you admire and why?
The Nigerian celebrity I admire is Genevieve Nnaji. She is a lady who was  from a simple background to being a super star and is still holdng her grounds in the industry. She is beautiful, intelligent, classy and very successful which are qualities I think every lady should have.  Asides her I also admire the likes of  Chimamanda, Emem Isong and Mercy Johnson.

What do you have passion for?
Asides reading Medicine in the University, I love to sketch. Its something I have always loved doing and have passion for and hopfully would love to pursue later in future.

What puts you off people?
People who talk a lot even when its not necessary without giving you listening ears. They always have something to say but don’t want to listen. This pisses me off the more when a man doing it. I’m also put off by very dirty people with very poor hygiene. I don’t think I can be really close  to people like that.

How do you think the world would look like without fashion?
I think life would be boring. Fashion in a way makes you happier and a more confident person. I believe fashion is like art, it’s everywhere and we can’t exist without art because it makes our world pop.  So, we can’t exist without fashion.

When you are down, what do you do to derive your inspiration?
Music is one other thing we can’t do without.  When I’m down, listening to music helps me  a lot. It  helps me relax and let go. I can squeeze  in a little dancing when I feel like, and it helps.

What is the very  lesson life has taught you?
Life has taught me to be humble, because you never know where help may come from. It might be from the person you least expected. It has also taught me  never to be judgemental, because while you are pointing one finger at a person, four others are pointing back at you.  Also to never compare myself to others. Everyone has their race to run, nobody ends up the same. Today might be your turn to shine and tomorrow might be mine.

What really thrills you most about life?
 I think waking up everyday and having every part of me intact and functiong fine. Having my family and friends all hale and hearty. It is  something I look forward to everyday. So many people drop dead everyday, and if I get to experince life everyday like this, I consider it a blessing and I’m so grateful to God for that blessing.

Do you have regrets about any thing?
As human beings we all have regrets, be it large or small. I  have regrets too. Maybe I didn’t do something right and I regret and wish I did it a certain way and all that. So yes, I have a few regrets of my own.

What is your worst fear in life?
My worse fear would be going through life and ending up as a failure. Being a failure is something I have a phobia for.  I wouldn’t want to work hard for something and end up failing to accomplish it no matter how little the task may be. People would always recokn with succsess and never failure and I think I’m one of those people.

What fashion accesory forms a larger part of your wardrobe?
I think shoes. My mum loves shoes so I think I got that from her. A good foot wear  has a way of spicing up your outfit be it heels, snickers, sandals, or a fancy slipper. I don’t think anybody can do without them.

Being a breast cancer awareness agent, reach out to women/ladies on how to identify lumps and what to do?
I think  girls / women should know how to run self examinations on themselves. They should run their fingers on their breasts every morning. You start by looking at your self in the mirror with your shoulders straight  and your hands across your neck.  Here are what you look out  for; unsual size, shape and colour of the breast, redness, soresness, rash or swelling, inverted nipples. Also, raise your arms and look for  same changes. Look for discharge from the nipples. Also feel both breasts in circular motion from your collarbone to the top of your abdomen while lying down and while standing, feel your armpits and be sure you cover the whole breast. Feel both breasts for lumps. If you notice anything disturbing or alarming see you doctor for confimation. Finding the lumps early can help to prevent the cancer from spreading.
I think that  more awareness programs should be created to help women and young girls  who don’t know what it is all about to be aware and get themselves checked and get early treatment so as to reduce the mortality rate of women with breast cancer. It is very important.





No comments:

Post a Comment