forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Saturday, October 03, 2015

‘Nigerian women have become more proactive over the years’


 ‘I will be a Nigerian woman over and again’
 Wofai Samuel, an On Air Personality is an amiable lady, lively and fun to be with. This Cross River state born  is the last and only daughter of her parents. But guess what? Though she was loved and cherished in the family, but she  wasn’t a spoilt child. This broadcaster  who loves traveling, watching movies and  singing  tells ADAEZE AMOS in this chat what she would have done to put smiles on the faces of Nigerian women if given the opportunity. And where many Nigerian women are getting it wrong in the fashion circle especially on the red carpet.
Excerpts:


A bit on your educational background?

I attended Federal Government Girls’ College Calabar, then proceeded to study Environmental Biology/Zoology at the University of Calabar. I hold a B.SC. in Z.E.B.

Nigeria just clocked 55 years some days back, what do you think you would have done to put smiles on the faces of Nigerian women if  given the opportunity?
It’s amazing how enthusiastic and elated I feel about Nigeria’s 55th independence anniversary. I want to confidently say that Nigerian women have become more aware of the nationa’s polity and their supposed roles in the nation building  for their children and great grand children. Thus, they have become more proactive. It’s a pointer to the fact that putting smiles on the faces of Nigerian women would be effortless if that opportunity comes. I will dwell more on the basics, which I feel centres around enlightenment and self realisation, then I could provide endless opportunities to express themselves productively and confidently. These basic, splits across women in all strata of society whether in urban or rural areas. Second, I would also love to develop/nurture positive mindsets and right attitudes. Once these are achieved, everything else is secondary. Also, I would like to see more Nigerian women compete and complement activities on the global scenes especially with their contemporaries.

What aspect of your job thrills you most as an On Air Personality?
Engaging political stakeholders in intelligent  discussions on live TV platforms has been one of my most thrilling experiences as a broadcaster. The feedback from our astute Nigerian citizenry has been exceptional. Getting on TV whether for a political interaction or hosting celebritites on red carpet is always interesting  because I get countless feedbacks, lovely amazing comments. No feeling is comparable to what I get when people approach me with comments such as  Wofai, you lighten up my day-you just made me smile.

It has always been said that women are their own worst enemies, meaning that we don’t love ourselves enough. How do you think we would be able to overcome this? And what have you as a woman been able to do to nib this situation in the bud?

The affirmation of women being their own worst enemies is not new to me at all though I have had very cordial working relationship with various women in different spheres. There is always bound to be rivalry especially with women who see other women as competitors. But God has helped me overcome these by accepting women just the way they are. Whether they are highly placed than me, the same cadre as me or even coming behind me. I subtly create an air of ‘let’s be our keeper,’ look out for me and I will do same for you. The aura of ‘if we must compete, let’s be positive about it’. Our colletive success matters most in the end because we could easily assist each other to grow. Then, how I have been helping to nib this situation in the bud is that I constantly send out such messages via my body language and disposition. For a female boss or a woman above me, respect is the most thing  she needs to be at ease with me. This has worked for me a great deal.

As a TV personality who has anchored numerous  red carpet events, where do you think so many Nigerian women are getting it wrong in the fashion circle?

For me, the highest blunder is dressing in a particular way that doesn’t fit the occasion you are attending at that time. Study the event properly before time and choose the right clothes and accessories appropriately. Women flaw a lot in this regard. A woman should know exactly when to go denim, girly, conservative, sensual and so on.

Can you share some red carpet experiences on where some  women fumbled with regards to questions you asked?

(Laughed) This is inevitable, I think women fumble with questions on the red carpet a lot more than politicans do on my live shows. (laughed) What do you make of a celebrity who is asked to qualify a subject in one word and she gives you a sentence. When you ask for a sentence, she gives you a word. It’s so funny and this always re-ocures. My production crew will aways loose their cool at the sight of some of these excerpts. Very few celebritites get it right.

Nigeria is a male-dominated society, but are you proud to be a woman here? If yes, what are your reasons?
Nigerian women make the best out of anything/everything  and for me that creative, undaunted, resilient spirit makes the difference. In the international climes, we have got Nigerian women complementing their foreign counterparts, favourably at that. This has made the global audience realize that we got a lot to offer the world at large. The opportunites enthroned in them is maximised to the latter making even the male folks here in Nigeria delegate more challenging responsibilites to the females. It’s evident in  politics, media, oil and gas, industries to name a few. I will be a Nigerian woman over and again.

Lesson life has  taught you?
Life has taught me patience, humility, appreciation for my mother. Life has also taught me to trust God almighty in every ramifications.

Your life philosophy?
My life philosophy is to be myself

Craziest thing a male fan has ever done to you?
Two male fans once knelt in front of me at the airport, asking if they could marry me. Jeez! That was highly embarrassing, I felt like disappearing into the thin air but I handled the situation.





No comments:

Post a Comment