forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Friday, April 29, 2016

I love to wear figure-hugging-dresses to show off my waistline-Tobi Philips, ex-beauty queen



‘Simplicity and sophistication are my watch words in the fashion circle’

Tobi Phillips, a graduate of Marine Sciences, of the University of Lagos loves dancing and swimming. She is an avid follower of global fashion trends, an unapologetic advocate of the rights of women. In this interview with ADAEZE AMOS she talked about how happy she is to be a woman and life as an ex-beauty queen.
Excerpts:

What makes you happy about your life/existence on this  earth?
It is the simple fact that I’m a woman. I’m really happy that I’m a woman.  I believe women must be ever mindful of the fact that we are the vessels of the next generation and the custodians of the future. This led me to establish a company, with a name “Tophernalia”. My eternal gratitude goes to Almighty God for making me a woman. I consider being a beautiful woman a great honour, an honour not dissimilar to a permanent appointment to high office. As you know, every elevated position has its “paraphernalia” of office, without which the grandeur and pomp of the office is diminished.  Tophernalia was established to gently remind every woman of her responsibilities and the importance at all times of correct comportment, correct deportment and correct presentation; for  these qualities, are her paraphernalia of office.

 Can we know the beauty pageants  you have participated in  before and the ones you won?
I was crowned beauty queen in multiple pageants. In chronological order, I have the following  laurels to my credit: 2009  Miss Madam Tinubu Hall, University of Lagos, 2010 Miss Sciences, University of Lagos, 2010 1st Runner Up Miss University of Lagos, 2010 Miss Integration  (Held in the Republic of Benin, the beauty pageant was held to promote African Culture and speak loudly against child trafficking). I was the   1st Runner up Sisi Oge, Lagos in 2011, 2012 Miss Personality Sisi Oge, Lagos,  2012 World Miss University Nigeria, 2012 World Miss University Africa (International contest in South Korea and I emerged 4th in the world and 1st in Africa).

What is the latest about you?
I have remained true to my first love which is the world of beauty and fashion

There’s a cliché which says ‘once a queen, always a queen”. Do you believe this? If so discuss.

During the camping periods before every significant beauty contest, a lot of effort was invested by the organizers  in “grooming” the contestants. This involves training in comportment, speech, queenly  gait, and etiquette. The intensity of the training and the competitive atmosphere both serve to make the lessons unforgettable, and permanently alter one’s behaviour. You can imagine what effect a multiplicity of such grooming sessions has had on me. In addition, beauty queens are looked upon not only as paragons of beauty, but as young women with great intergrity. There seems to be lifelong pressure to set a good behavioural example.

 You were a queen for a year, how was your tenure and what can you remember  about it?  Something nostalgic about your tenure?

I was a beauty queen for several years consecutively. It seems every teenage girl secretly wants to be a beauty queen. I was almost overwhelmed by the number of youngsters who came to me for advice on how to fulfill their dreams of stardom.

What thrilled you most when you were a beauty queen?
I must admit that the sheer magnitude of attention for a teenager was flattering to the point of intoxication. Luckily, I had been warned to be on my guard, as unscrupulous people try to take advantage of innocence and naiveté.

Any hope of becoming a queen maker and give other young girls a platform to better their lives?
I’ve witnessed some shoddily organised events, and I certainly look forward to the day when by His Grace I’ll launch my own pageant. A beauty pageant does not consist merely of lining up a dozen girls on a stage. A well organised contest should be an unforgettable and enjoyable experience for the girls, so camping must be held at a memorable venue. The girl who best satisfies the criteria of  the contest must  be declared the winner. No Mago -Mago!! The prizes should be worthwhile, and international exposure for the queen, should be imperative, no matter how short  the trip.

Beauty they say is a great door opener. What do you think a woman gains from being beautiful just as you are?
There’s something I read on social media recently, to the effect that the human mind is unable to resist three things – danger, hunger and beauty. I haven’t been able to establish the truth of the statement, but I know beauty can also be an unbearable burden, as it tends to attract the attention of the opposite gender to you  from a very early age. This has made a lot of pretty girls loose their bearing. Like all talents, beauty is a gift which must be nurtured to achieve maximum potential. Beauty without good training, education and brains is a disaster waiting to happen.

You were a beauty queen some years back but after your tenure, you have still remained relevant. What exactly gives you your staying power?

Thank you very much for the compliment. I was a beauty queen whilst still an undergraduate so it was a beginning rather than an end. I’ve embarked on a number of projects since graduation, one of which will be launched in a few months.

You know how to strike hot poses before paparazzi, how did that part of you evolve?

I’ve loved dressing up since my early childhood. Also, as I said earlier I had a lot of grooming before pageants. I always remember the saying “genius is 10%,  inspiration is 90%”. So it’s practice, practice and practice.

 What did you do when you were a beauty queen to touch lives?
Generosity is a lifestyle choice. Giving has always been part of my daily life before during and after my reigns. I hope to do even more in the future.

Who are the current and ex-beauty queens you admire and why?
Helen Prest-Ajayi, Omowunmi Akinnifesi, Anna Banner, Stella Charles and Ezinne Akudo are names that immediately come to mind for their classic looks, clarity of skin, dress sense and engaging personalities.

Let’s talk about fashion. What is your personal style all about? What language does it speak? In other words, define you dress sense.
Simplicity and sophistication are my watch words in the fashion circle. I do play around with lots of concepts; retro, native, preppy, corporate and avant-garde. The idea is to be comfortable in whatever I am wearing and to suit the occasion.

Fashion is about flaunting your good sides and covering your flaws. What part of your body do you flaunt proudly if need be and why?
I love to wear figure-hugging-dresses to show off my waistline.

 What fashion item forms a large chunk of your wardrobe and why?
High-waist-skirts. I like to think they flatter my figure.

What is the fashion blunder you have committed?
Seriously, I can’t remember any.

What stands you out in the fashion world?
My simplicity!

 On the red carpet, what gives you an edge over others?
My smile. (laughs)

What lesson has life taught you as a beauty queen, a Nigerian woman?
Humility.

When you are down, what do you do to be inspired?
I get down on my knees and pray to Almighty God.

What is the craziest thing a male fan has ever done to you?
I got a very expensive Valentine’s gift from someone years ago, whose identity I still don’t know.





No comments:

Post a Comment