forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Friday, February 19, 2016

Singing about women shows my unflinching love for gender that’s more like bedrock of life-Samcole, artiste

'I’m standing tall and focused on achieving this year'
Samcole a musical artiste just released a new single titled My Baby Bad. According to him, it’s a good way to start the year. In this interview with ADAEZE AMOS he talks about what inspired his song and why he sings about women most often
In your short foray into the musical world, you have worked with A-list artistes such as  Timaya, Olamide among others. You have dropped hot singles, not less than five and shot hot videos, how do you feel not competing with other young blood like Kiss Daniel, Lil Kesh for the Headies Next Rated?
Nigerian music industry is highly competitive. Everybody is struggling to achieve  various goals. A white man says nothing good comes easy. Yes it’s true, I have featured  A-list artistes and yet I’m still not on the Headies Next Rated list. The Bible says there is time for everything, I so much believe in the Bible. My time is here, my time is now. I’m still standing tall, focused on achieving this year.

What are you working on currently?
I just released a new single titled My Baby Bad which has gained over 300,000 downloads on various music blogs. I feel it’s a good way to start the year.  Effamelodosa team and I are working towards achieving a massive video  for this single. I also have couple of beats sent from various producers that I’m working on myself.
Should your fan expect an album from you this year?
Yes, my fans should expect an album from me this year. I believe it’s one thing I hold for my fans and  my record label.  I’m still working on it and lot of A-list artistes would be featured in the album. And  putting all this together takes time. But I promise towards the end of this  year, my album would be available for everyone.
What do you have to say about the song theft saga prominent in the music scene?
Yeah, it’s everywhere, even in American music industry. A lot of cases of copy cats and even some going as far as stealing their fellow artiste’s songs just because they feel it sounds  good to them and could be a hit. For me, people that steal songs are lazy artistes and not talented enough. My advice is that we as artistes should get copyright for all our songs just to reduce and prevent these reoccurrences.
For 13 years, you were a choirmaster, what was the transition like for you from church to street?
Would I say I was fully transformed? Not really, I’m still who I am inside me, the new me you see from the outside which seems to be like the street is just the business part of me…in church we sing to worship God but when I got signed  by Effamelodosa Entertainment, that was when I understood that music can also be seen as business.
How does your former constituency, the church reacts to you considering your choice of music now?
(Laughs) At first, when this whole thing started, I mean Samcole getting signed to a record label and releasing a secular song, it was like a shocker to the church. But I had to explain the difference between the secular music being a business and church music being used as a tool to worship God. And they got to understand and we all live in peace and still relate well with each other without any obstacle.
What were the circumstances that made you pitch your tent with secular music?
This question cannot be totally answered without mentioning my record label. They are the architect of it all. I got signed to do secular songs and I also noticed that my God given talent is very broad, it just left for me to channel it to the direction I chose. So, here I am.
From Shakara to Baby Sweet, Love Wantintin, My Baby Bad, Nanko Banana it’s all about women. Why do you sing about women? Is this deliberate?
Singing about women to me isn’t deliberate. It’s more of an unflinching love and admiration that I have towards a gender that is more like the bedrock of life after God. It’s my sincere way to appreciating their immense contribution to mankind.
Can you have a child out of wedlock?
Having a child out of wedlock isn’t bad for me because I believe that children are gifts from the supreme God. So, for me, sure I can, if it is God’s will because no one knows when such gifts can come.
In an industry where you wake up to baby mama news every now and then what will you do if it happens to you?
If it happens to me I will ensure it remains our personal life issue and must not be made a public debate because I strongly believe that whatever happens in Texas must stay within Texas. I will also adhere to diplomatic dialogue for the sole purpose of my child. I can’t afford to sell him or her negatively to the press.
Are you in any relationship?
Technically, I’m in a relationship (smiles).
Who is your female crush in the industry?
Internationally, my greatest female crush is Marey Carey while in the Nigerian industry, it’s Seyi Shey.
Which artiste would you like to work with apart from Dbanj and 2Face?
Apart from Dbanj and 2Face, I look forward to  great collaborations with Waje, Phyno, Wizkid, Flavour, Burna Boy, AKA of South Africa.
Apart from your own sound, which sound or song are you feeling right now?
Davido feat Olamide ‘The Money’ Kiss Daniel Good time, Olamide Oya Dab
Tell us about your growing up?

Growing up was like a school of its own of which I’m still in that school till now. Growing up is a continuous process in life where you get to meet different challenges and obstacles. Growing up for me wasn’t so easy. I was born with a silver spoon and as time went by I saw myself with a wooden spoon and later it  turned into a plastic spoon. But I want to say that God saw me through it all and here I am today strong and doing what I love most. Which of course is music.

No comments:

Post a Comment