forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Monday, March 07, 2016

Women are fashion pacesetters – Sandra Anthony


Sandra Anthony is the founder, Sandra Anthony Cervical Cancer Foundation, Lagos. She studied International Relations at University of Nigeria, Nsukka. The beauty queen tellsADAEZE AMOS in this interview that women are pacesetters in fashion, among others.
As a woman in a male-dominated society as ours, how does that make you feel?
Truthfully, being a woman in a male-dominated society as ours is intimidating but it pushes me to want to work harder so that I can stand my grounds and say yes I have achieved my goals.
March 8th is known worldwide as International Women’s Day, what’s your take on this?
I am happy women are being celebrated all over the world and I think we deserve this. The reason is that women g o through a l o t in our society. Which one would I talk about?  Is it the complications and pains we go through during pregnancy and labour? Or should I talk about the domestic violence most women are saddled with? How about rape cases that are becoming rampant now or sexual harassments at work places? So, I thank God for a day like this when women are recognised and appreciated. This is because we actually do a lot to better our homes and our society and if we are appreciated worldwide, it would urge us to do more.

What thrills you most about being a woman?
Women are special creatures of God. We are unique, beautiful, understanding, strong, intelligent and fashionable. We are given extra ability to endure emotional pains. So being a woman is beautiful, it is wonderful because you have these extraordinary features working for you.
It’s been said that women are weaker vessels; does this hinder you in any way?
This has never hindered me in any way. This weaker vessel story came up from creation when it was said that God made a woman using a rib of Adam. But if a woman who was made from one rib can be seen in all walks of life, if she is this hardworking psychologically, mentally, physically and spiritually, then you can imagine what she would have done if she was created like a man.
Each time you see yourself in the mirror, what comes to your mind first?
What comes to my mind is that I’m an amazon, a conqueror set to conquer every challenge, one who is determined to fight amongst men. I realise that being a woman does not stop me from becoming who I want to. It only gives me reasons to want to do more.
What’s your advice to women who feel unfulfilled for having all female children?
Women/mothers I know the burden of not having a male child can be heavy, especially when you have in-laws that place emphasis on producing one. But always remember that your baby girls are precious. Know that you have produced pillars that can strengthen this nation. So, focus on your girls, educate and groom them, build their self esteem and watch them conquer the world. Every child is a blessing, be it male or female there should be no preferential treatment.
If you have the opportunity of reliving your life, would you like to come as a woman?
To be honest, I wouldn’t want to come as a woman if I would have to relive my life. I would want to come as a man. You want to know why? Men don’t undergo menstrual cramps/pains and experience rigours of pregnancy and labour and they don’t get fat easily. These are things that make us women age faster.
When you look into the fashion world, what glad- dens your heart?
The revolution of fashion centres on women. If there is no woman, there would be no fashion! Women can wear just anything including male attires and still look beautiful, sexy and hot. I think that alone makes me proud to be a woman as we are fashion pacesetters.
What do you tell God in prayers about yourself and the rest of other women?
I always tell God to make me an inspiration to other women. I pray He grants me my heart desires and takes me to places I can’t take myself and also bless women beyond their expectations. I wish He gives them strength to carry on in their endeavours.
People have been clamouring for women empowerment, do you think women actually need to be empowered?
Women have spoken loud enough for their voices to be heard. We should do more than just being in the kitchen, giving birth and taking care of children.
How do you think women can achieve more in life aside from empowerment?
If we can love ourselves the more, we would go places. We would achieve more and overcome most of our hurdles. But I’m glad that petty jealousies among women are dying down fast. Women all over the world are getting to embrace themselves. If this can continue, it would help us to achieve more.
What do you have to tell some women who have been beaten, battered and broken in their marriage?
What I can say to such women is that they should open up and not die in silence. Women bottle up a lot. Voice out for goodness sake and look for help. If your marriage is life-threatening, take a walk and give yourself a break from it. Don’t wait until you become a corpse and you are evacuated. Leave when you are alive and seek for help.
What good thing do you think has ever happened to you as a woman?
The good thing that has ever happened to me is being a woman.
What is Sandra Anthony Cervical Cancer Foundation all about?
It is a non-governmental organisation set to bring the awareness of cervical cancer to women.
Can you tell us some experiences you’ve come across in the course of running your foundation?
I have read and seen women suffer over this disease and most of them don’t even know how deadly it is. They are not aware of the major causes of cervical cancer. But I believe that with constant creating of awareness and free screening centres, most women would be informed about it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment