forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

I can accept nude roles but that depends on how it would be shot -Chioma Okoye


Chioma Okoye is an actress and movie producer with a difference. She attests that her humility has been opening doors for her. This Chief Executive Officer, CEO, Purple Ribbon Entertainment told Adaeze Amos that, as a versatile actress she can accept nude roles “but it all depends on how it would be shot,”she said.


I have produced eight movies so far. Two are in the market now while three are coming out before the Easter or immediately after. The first movie I shot that did excellently well in the market, is entitled ‘Aso-Ebi Girls’ this was followed by ‘Bride Price’. I have three Igbo films entitled ‘Onye Ga Alum’, ‘Asili Gbaka Ute’, ‘Ile Mgbada’.  ‘Keep My Secret’, ‘Dirty Mind’; then another that I'm about to shoot is ‘The Harlot’.

My Igbo movies
There are some movies/stories that you need to tell in Igbo language for it to come out well. When you use a foreign  language, you won’t feel the flavour. It would sound watery. But, if it is Igbo and you speak the dialect very well, it would flow. Good enough the actors spoke Igbo language all through without adding a bit of Igbo. But honestly, it wasn't easy. 

How do you feel watching and producing Igbo movies where the language is spoken undiluted?
If you are watching your language movie, it would interest you the more. There are some words you would hear, you would laugh and want to repeat it over and again. To me, it is better and it is more original because the language is your comfort zone. If you’re Igbo and you are speaking your language, it’s your comfort zone unlike English. It doesn't mean English is not your comfort zone but when you compare what is your dialect and what is not, you would see that you’d feel more at home with your own.

Name movies you have starred in
I featured in some of the movies I produced. For instance, the Igbo ones, I did not because I know I have a little problem with the language. But the next one I'm doing is Igbo and I have done a lot of work in it so, I'm going to come out on it. There are lots of movies I had featured in before I started producing. I featured in a movie entitled ‘Slow Poison’, ‘War for War’,’ True Romance’, ‘Nothing Spoil’, ‘No Shaking’ and so many others.

Which of them brought you to the limelight?
I think ‘No Shaking’ brought me out, because it’s a comedy movie where an African beauty is being flaunted. When they say flaunt what you have, you know what it means. That movie is where African beauty was flaunted. It was followed by another interesting one, ‘Nothing Spoil’.

As an actress and movie producer, what excites you about what you do?
The first thing that thrills me about what I do is the fact that I have my time. I also have lots of stories I tell through acting and then I have passion for arts and acting. Doing what I have passion for thrills me and that is what keeps me going. Most times, I try to look for stories and if I can’t get any, I ask my friends to give me a story or what to write. I try to get stories from my environment and friends.

Is there any role you won’t accept?
I would accept all roles and interpret them well. After all, I'm an actress. For roles that have to do with nudity, I would also accept but it depends on how the movie is going to be shot. There is nudity you would do and people would not notice it that much, but you have passed the message. It therefore depends on the kind of nudity you are trying to showcase. 

Challenges?
The challenges of being a movie producer for a woman are enormous. Especially when it has to do with actresses, because bringing ladies/women under your own umbrella is not easy. But with men, it is easier. Ladies would not want to be shouted at. It warrants a lot of patience and tolerance. I don’t have problems with guys but every production has its own temptation and challenges.

When you feel down, what do you do to derive inspiration?
I love reading, watching movies and travelling. Of recent, I found also that I love shopping. If I'm too quiet, I feel like going out to shop; I don’t like it because it is affecting my finance. For the fact that I'm doing E-banking now, it is a lot easier. I don’t have to go to bank and start withdrawing money before I buy. That makes me spend a lot of money which I don’t like at the end of the day. I don’t know how I just got that penchant for shopping. If I'm moody or angry now, I’d just feel like shopping.

How do you see your colleagues who wear gigantic hair-do and crazy styles?
It’s trendy, that is fashion for you. It depends on how you want to go about it. As long as you are not making the next person uncomfortable, I don’t have a problem with it.

Your style signature?
I'm very simple; I don’t like anything that hurts me; that is why I didn't go for tattoos. Honestly, I love being simple.

Who in Nollywood  wouldn't you mind to be paired with for romance roles?
As a good actress, you don’t have to be choosy. Looks shouldn't be considered in romance. What comes with romance is attitude. If I'm in an acting scene, I'm not looking at you, but at your features and  my lines because I am not actually in love with that person; so why would I be looking for good looks to interpret romance roles. That means I'm not a good actress if I should do that. As a good actress, good looks shouldn't be your major concern. Looks should go to the director or the casting director. I shouldn't be in the position to choose which guy to act with when I know I have a casting director or make-up artiste who usually comes with a mouth wash which he offers to actors before they start kissing.
Every make-up artiste would have a mouth wash because, for instance, I just finished eating now and maybe the next thing I'm doing is shooting a romance film. If the guy has not eaten, do you want me to use my onions mouth to kiss him? That would put him out of character. That is why mouth wash is provided so as to kiss  according to the script. After acting, the whole thing ends there.

How about those with body odour?
That is a serious problem because directors don’t give perfume. But every lady should have a perfume in her handbag. Even the guys, they should have perfume too. Because if you are acting, the room is usually hot and with the lights that are being used; it looks like oven. You use your wipe to clean up, and apply your body spray or perfume. It makes you look fresh and feel comfortable. You need to smell fresh and good all the time. If you don’t have mouth odour, you don’t have to carry your mouth wash. What you need to do is to brush in the morning and evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment