forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

I’m appreciated more in Europe -Tosin Olakanye-Olayemi, female talking drummer

‘Women aren’t bed-warming machines’
Some call this icon Ayanbinrin, others call her the Mother-Drum of Africa (‘Iya-Ilu’). To some, she is the most exciting female talking drummer of our time. Welcome to the world of Oluwatosin Olakanye-Olayemi, the Project Director Mother-Drum Arts,  the Chemical and Polymer Engineering graduate of Lagos State University. She unveils her passion for drums and tells ADAEZE AMOS in this interview what makes her tick in this kind of art that is male-dominated, how she empowers women and her sojourns to the western world for stage performances.


You are called  many beautiful names based on what you do. Which one do you prefer?

 I’m a female talking drummer. That is the way I see myself.



Hmm, really?
Sure

What did you study?

I finished from Lagos state University where I studied Chemical and Polymer Engineering. And in my third year, I decided to pick up drumming because I had always wanted to be a Theater Arts person but my parents never wanted it. They asked me to read Engineering because I was good in Mathematics. But thank God I ended up discovering myself and now I’m doing what I would have loved to do at the initial stage.
 How was growing up?
 I grew up from a family that really loved indigenous music.  My dad loved King sunny Ade, Pa Orlando Owoh and  Aruna Oshola music. The love for such music actually led to the kind of music I’m doing now. I grew up listening to the indigenous music. I hail from Ondo state.

 Was your grand mother a female talking drummer?
No, but  my great grand  paternal  uncle  used to be a drummer. So, it runs in the blood. My parents are glad I’m doing this now and sometimes I tell them they wasted my time. But I no longer see it as a waste of time because I still see myself doing what I would have loved to do. I thank God I didn’t end up an engineer though that is what I am professionally.

Where has your drum taken you to?
It has taken me far and wide. Outside Nigeria, Africa, London, America, South Africa, Ghana. It has taken me wide. When I performed before in Europe, in fact, they were so amazed. They rushed wanting to touch my drum and after my performance, a white woman told me to sell my drum to her that she was ready to buy it at any price. I said no, that was my identity, my culture,  my art. I stood my ground.
In fact, I’m  appreciated more in Europe.

You teach  female university undergraduates how to beat talking drums, what initiated this?
 I’m just trying to empower women. I’m a pacesetter, I’m a leader, an ambassador of culture.  The little way I can contribute in the society is to empower  women. I see that some women want to learn but they don’t want a male tutor. So, I decided to come in and fill up the gap and give them the opportunity to be what they want to be in future. I teach students  from different universities- Lagos State University Theater Arts students,  some from University of Lagos, Adeniran Ogunsanya University and  Redeemers University. I actually wanted more female students  to come let’s do this together. We should encourage women. All the people that are up there if they can help one or two women we would be empowered and we would not be slaves anymore. We would have a voice. We women are not just baby-making-factories, we are not just bed-warming-machines. We are more than that. We have talents, we have things inside of us that we can use to contribute to the development of our country and even to the whole world. So, I’m just giving an helping hand to girls, ladies and women. I have a woman in my class who is 70 years old. She wants to learn how to drum because she wants to be playing in her church.

You said women should be empowered so that we wouldn’t be enslaved, were we slaves?
Women are build in so many ways. People believe that women are weaker vessels. As much as that could be right, we are intellects, we are precious, we have something inside of us.  We should not just be neglected, we should have a voice. We should have a contribution, we should be carried along in the societal issues. As much as we respect the men as our heads, we should not be neglected as a no-do-well people that should be there to make babes. We should be given opportunities to express ourselves.
Are you happy you are a woman?
Yes, I am. I’m proud to be a woman and if I would have to come back, I would be a woman. I’m proud to be African, to be black, to be Nigerian. Even though people imbibe other cultures. I’m not against that but we should never neglect what is ours. If we don’t propagate what we have, nobody is going to do that for us.  

Your dress sense?
I try blending African attire with the western ones. The trend is moving, even culture is dynamic. So, you must move with the trend. As much as I want to put on my jean, I still want to have something African on me.

 Your style signature?
I’m always having my ‘Suku’ hairdo. It’s my identity. You must see something African you must appreciate in me.

Are you married?
 Sure! I give God the glory, I have an understanding husband.  He is one hundred per cent supportive of what I’m doing.

When you tour the world to perform, does he go with you?
Sometimes he does. Not all the time..

What is it about your hubby that fascinated you when you met him?
I met him when he was graduating and I was getting into Lagos State University. He had finished his five years course. He studied Mechanical Engineering. I went in for Chemical and Polymer Engineering. So, when I was in hundred level, he was graduating. I would say that he is somebody that knows what he wants. That is the first criteria that actually made me choose him. And then, he was ready to give me all the support. I believe in giving chance to a man that supports your dream and he is not unnecessarily jealous

How do you cope with fans that want to get intimate with you?
I don’t go beyond my boundary. I draw a line between my family and work. When I’m working, I’m Ayanbinrin  (female drummer) and once I’m off the stage, you don’t just come to me anyhow. I will tell you that Ayanbinrin (female drummer) ends on the stage. Once I step out of stage and my costumes are off, I become  Tosin, the lady my husband married. I don’t mix my personalities. I also tell my hubby that he is married to Tosin not ‘Ayanbinri’ and when I’m doing my ‘Ayanbinri’ thing, he doesn’t interfere. When I’m off stage, I try to take care of the kids. It’s normal for my fans to want to something intimate from me because most of my fans are male and they want to be really close.  It is me that would determine the rule of the game.

Would you want your kids to take up what you are doing ?
Yes, I would actually want my daughter to take up what I’m doing because it’s been fun but she is not showing interest. It is my son that is interested.

What thrills you?
My drum, that is also what drives me. When I make people happy, I’m also happy.

Does what you do fetch you money?
Of course yes. I travel out of the country a whole lot to perform. I go for festivals. I do a lot of stage performances and that brings money. It’s fun, I’m enjoying it and it is paying too.  



1 comment: