forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Friday, December 11, 2015

My only regret is leaving mom at age 16 to pursue acting career –Halima Abubakar


Halima Abubakar is a Nollywood actress who has endured in the industry. She started acting at the  age of 16. She tells Adaeze Amos  that growing up for her was turbulent, among others.
When did you start acting?
I knew about Nollywood, at 16, in 2000. I was quite rebellious. I left home to pursue my acting career and I regretted leaving my mom to the mercy of gossip and tears. That is the reason I keep saying that my mom is strong and great. I went back to her in Kano after a year to apologise on bended knees. I asked for her forgiveness and she forgave me.
You said you were 16 years old when you started acting; but you were supposed to be in secondary school at that age?
I was 16, young and naïve. I was actually in secondary school, in SS One. I went back to my mother; I decided to complete my secondary school education and university. I studied Sociology at Bayero University, Kano. When I started acting, I had to lie that I was more than 16 years old, so that no one would take me for granted. I wanted people to respect me and my ideas.

What has acting taken from you?
It has taken my privacy. I had said this at several times. I won’t complain anymore because that is the nature of our job.
What advice do you have for young ladies who are aspiring to be like you?
To those that want to join the acting world, they are welcome. Acting is interesting but, importantly, you should try to be transparent in dealing with your colleagues or those you meet in the cause of your work. Being transparent can help you a lot in life. Also, try to have a good heart, as it would save you in difficult situations.
What regrets do you have in life besides leaving your mom at the age of 16?
I regret my past association with friends. I wouldn’t want to talk much on this. Some of them would comment or say some things just to make me feel bad but the good side of it is that at the tail end, the truth would prevail. I have forgiven those that ran me down in the past. I don’t have room in my heart to harbour grudges. For those who have been nice to me, I pray for them continually.
What is your style?
I don’t have a style, although fashion is exciting. I don’t take fashion so seriously because it is not a do-or-die. I don’t have a steady look. I can switch my looks with ease. To me, style means being you. ‘I no send’ with the way I look at times but at the end of it all, I love being good. I’m saying this because there are some things or trends I vowed never to be seen in but at last I violated my vow and went for them. I believe that when it comes to fashion, I won’t say no.
What price did you pay to get to where you are now?
I paid a price by being nice to people. I gave people chance to feature in my movie. I believe that when you are nice to people, it is also paving a way for you.
How was growing up?
Growing up wasn’t a smooth one. It was very turbulent. I had lots of tears, pains and regrets but, in all, I have remained responsible because I know my story. I knew that I would not reach my peak or height in life by being with different men.
Are you serious about this?
Yes, I am. I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this because of the kind of job I do. But I want to say that no fool would see fire and willingly stretch out her fingers into it to be burnt. I know where I’m coming from, I know my pains.
How have you been able to manage fame?
At a time, my name was bigger than my face in the past seven years. I cope well with fame. People have come to love me for different reasons. When you come close to me, you would know I’m fun to be with. I know that I leave great impression when you meet me and try to make you jettison what you heard because people must talk. But I’m happy that even while I talk, I still smile.
What is your worst fear in life?
Death is my worst fear.
How would you describe yourself?
I’m good, I’m strong and I’m a deep person. I’m proud to be a woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment