forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Saturday, August 29, 2015

‘I dropped my wig and gown for scissors and tape rule-Tese Onokala, fashion designer


Tese Onokala,  the Chief Executive Officer Needlekraft Couture was once  a beauty queen who grew up partly in Auchi and in Lagos state. She studied Law at the Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma but she decided to become a fashion designer after having a couple of fashion courses from some prolific designers in Paris and Milan before Needlekraft Coutour was born in 2008. 


As a lawyer how do you feel dumping your wig and gown for fashion designing?
Immediately  after graduating as a lawyer, I took  up my passion,  which of course is fashion designing. I could remember that in school,  from my first year to my final year,  I was doing more of fashion in terms of sketching, supervising and  designing. I saw myself moving each minute towards the fashion industry. So much that at some point I had to tell myself the truth. Do you really want to go into  litigation when you are done with your studies or you just want to continue with your dream as a fashion designer. So, I had to take my passion first and that is where I am today.

What was your starting point like?
I went for intense fashion training because I knew that was where my passion was. So, I just went for it. I went into the university to study law and not fashion to satisfy my parents. My parents actually wanted me to study law so that I could give free services to people in need of my services in my community. That was the primary objective, it had nothing with what I wanted but along the line I knew it wasn’t something I could cope with, so I went for what I love doing. I dropped my wig and gown for scissors and tape rule and I think I’m comfortable where I am right now.

Can you reach out to parents who impose their choice of course on their children?
I won’t do that to my children. The truth of the case is that all my kids, the moment they are done with their education would be enrolled to learn a skill. This is something that I have agreed with my husband. They could have distinction in all their  courses  but they must learn a skill. I have three children right now and I have that already in mind about them.

After having three children, your shape and  waistline are still intact. What  are you doing right?
You have to work hard on your shape after delivery. Ensure you eat right and at the right time. Take the actual calorie gauge for a day. Some married women make the mistake of not taking care of themselves simply because they are married. But they are wrong. That is even the best time to take care of yourself  else you won’t get your shape back.   If you are used to working out like  an hour before you got married, then you have to make it two hours when you are married. The truth of the matter is that you need to take extreme care of yourself. Mind you, this has nothing to do with your man looking outside or straying. It is just about you. Do you feel good looking trendy, beautiful and what you should be? If yes, then work on yourself.

Some fashion designers don’t practice what they preach. Some are not mindful of how they dress before they step out. What’s your take on this?
That is wrong! I practise what I preach. Take a good look at me. I’m simple, trendy and chic. I’m stylish, I like details a lot, I like to stand out in my simplicity. As a fashionista, if you are not detailed then you are not complete. You have to be a detailed designer (she giggled).

Where do you think  fashion designers are not getting it right?
 I think it has to do with the foundation. Most of them don’t have the passion for it and they are there because they want to make waves. Everything has to do with first passion and then  training. You have to go for more and more training. As I am now, I have not stopped learning.  I go for three months part time program, six months  program  just to update my skill. People should do that if they want to be seasoned, or if they want to be professional designers.

What makes you happy about today’s women?

I’m happy that many women have woken up to their responsibilities.  In fact, as it is now, most women are now men. You can’t take that from them. We are now standing even more than the men should stand. It is no longer in vogue to say that women are in chains or in bondage. That happened in the  days of yore but no longer now. In fact now, women are standing up tall. We are all up and doing. You don’t find any woman sitting at home and feeding fat on her  husband’s money. You don’t find any woman who is a housewife because 80 percent of  responsibilities are now pushed to the women. Kudos to women!

No comments:

Post a Comment