forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Thursday, December 17, 2015

I design hats for Mitchell Obama American First Lady, others -Chito Mark, milliner


 ‘I started hat business with just N30’
 Chito Mark is the CEO of Graces Hats Limited. She is a seasoned hat-designer (milliner), whose hats are worn by women from all walks of life, including Mitchell Obama, the American first lady. A wife and mother, she studied Comparative Economics and Management. She tells Adaeze Amos in this interview that hat-making has enabled her tour the world as well as sit and dine with kings.
 When did you opt for hat-making?
I actually started making hats when I was through with my one year compulsory National Service. I came to Lagos immediately afterwards and that was in 1989. I had to go from shop to shop to showcase my hats and a lot of people then preferred imported ones because such hats were in vogue. Nobody wanted to have anything to do with locally-made and funny-looking thing called hat. Hence, a lot of people didn't want to associate with my hats. But there was this particular woman whom I owe so much to and that is Auntie Abba Labenella. When she saw me, she said ‘young girl, come inside. I think you can do so much’. On that day that I stepped into her apartment, I met for the first time Funmi Ajila Ladipo, now Fashion Designers Association of Nigeria president.  Immediately she saw her madam looking at my works, she too got interested and we became friends. Do you know since that day, we have been friends ever since. She is one of those who encouraged me.

 What were the challenges when you started your vocation, and how did you surmount them?
That is still in my memory. How I started and my days of little beginning get me excited each time I remember it. I feel fulfilled that what started like a play has turned into a full blown business and has enabled me go all over the world. It has made me sit with the kings and queens. On a daily basis, God keeps improving, increasing and beautifying my head-works. It's true that I won't rule out the fact that I don't face challenges in what I do but because I found God in an early stage of my life in this work, I would not tell you there were moments of going to my closet to cry because of challenges. Why should I when the Lord has given me the assurance of who I am and what I ought to be? I'm not boasting but I know that as a normal human being, you must have some challenges. But those challenges for me are part of life. They are not challenges that I have to ask God, why me and why not the other person? One of the outstanding challenges I had over the years happened in 2003 when my shop got burnt. I wasn't in the country when it happened. A lot of people thought that would break me down. For some other people, they would have hit their heads on the road or something but that to me was the beginning of all beginnings. That was when God started this beautiful showroom you are seeing today. Everything always works out for my best because I understand who God is and who I am in God.
 What is your advice to those who are down or lose focus when people criticise their works?
Challenges of people not accepting your works can be frustrating, but one thing is that you should believe in yourself, believe in what you do, and love what you do. When you believe in yourself and love what you do, you would have the zeal to continue. If you have God and his words inside you, you would not break down...even when they are saying no, for you, it is a yes. They could criticise your works, just say thank you with a smile and then go back to your drawing table, put it back again and bring it back in a better way. Trust God to show you something better, don't give up. I never gave up. Hold on tenaciously to what you believe in. You have to believe in yourself before other people start believing in you. Believe that what you have is good and that you can make it. You should know that some of those big names you hear today started really small. You too can start small and make it big later. I started very small, with only N30 and today it’s a big-time business. You must encourage, believe and trust yourself first.
 You have been in the business of hat-making for many years, aren’t you bored?
I have never been bored. I like what I'm doing with a passion. At times, I don't even remember to eat when I’m working. I have been in this business for 34 years. I churn out numerous hats as if some big companies placed an order for hats. This is because I work by faith, the way God directs me. What makes me happy is that people bring out large amounts of money to buy my hats and they feel satisfied. They get the value of their money back. That is why some of them would tell me happily to change my motto that says 'I silently keep people graceful'. They tell me that I don't silently keep them graceful because anywhere my hats are being worn, they receive loud ovation. Such a comment makes my day.
 What thrills or makes you happy as a woman?
 What thrills me or makes me happy is the fact that I use my handwork to project my country in a positive light to the western world. My hats are acceptable in the western world. For instance, about two years ago, we had this organisation known as Hats Ladies of Charleston, which I was the only black person that attended. This organisation is mainly hat wearers and a group of women that just love hats and they use it as a charity organisation. When they are doing an event, they all wear hats. On Easter day, they would wear hats and parade. They just want to bring back the culture of hat-wearing in America, which they have successfully over the years achieved. Two years ago, they started what they called the Hat Launching Day. I was there with them; we started in New York at the Romanian embassy. We had over 27 United Nations ambassadors that came from different countries and we have had it for three years now. In that event, the First Lady of America, Mitchell Obama, was supposed to be there but she was represented by the United Nations ambassador to United States of America. It was there that I presented my hats to Mitchell Obama through the United Nations ambassador and later Mrs Obama personally wrote back to me acknowledging that my hats were the best collections. She appreciated my kind gesture to her. Later last year, she had one of my hats on and she was photographed. I don't know the event she wore my hat to and the Cable Network News (CNN) carried it and it was captioned 'made by Grace Mark of Nigeria'. That was kudos to my country.



No comments:

Post a Comment