forex

JUMIA

konga

iPhone 6

amazon

Hotel

Ali ex

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Pageantry builds great potential –Joy Ekpoke

Joy Ekpoke is Miss Tourism Nigeria-Universe. She beat 34 other contestants to clinch the diamond-studded crown. In this interview with Adaeze Amos, the affable lady talks about her tenure as beauty queen and her life as a role model to aspiring queens.
What does it mean being Miss Tourism Nigeria-Universe?
Miss Tourism Nigeria pageant is held with the aim of exposing young, beautiful, amazing and self-assured Nigerian women the importance of service in leadership, entrepreneurship, child education, tourism promotion and sustainability.
What do you think gave you the edge over other contestants?
I believe what gave me an edge over others was the fact that I was given the privilege to represent the Federal Capital Territory Abuja at the contest. Second, having a lead role at the carnival costume dance made me noticeable. Also, being the first contestant to come up stage, though frightening, gave me all the confidence I wanted. I could say the stage is a wonderful partner for self discovery.

 What did you study?
I studied English at the Delta State University and I graduated in 2013.
Besides ‘Miss Tourism Nigeria pageant, have you participated in other beauty shows?
‘Miss Tourism Nigeria’ is not my first pageant. I’ve always loved to get involved in anything that has to do with beauty pageant. I also love to watch aspiring beauties do their thing on stage. My first beauty pageant was at the junior secondary where I won the ‘Miss Our Lady’s Model School beauty crown’. Next was at the College of Education where I contested as a departmental queen and won the ‘Mademoiselle Salle Françoise beauty crown’. Shortly after, I won the ‘Miss College of Education beauty crown’ and at the Delta State University, I became the fourth ‘Most Beautiful Girl on campus’. Four months after I had graduated, I won the prestigious ‘Miss Tourism Nigeria-Universe’ crown. Though the others were school pageants, they helped in bringing me this far.
What exactly made you win the ‘Miss Tourism crown’?
All 35 ladies had a week-long in camp activities, where we had the opportunity to be mentored by major successful personalities from various fields. There were a series of quest, debates, quiz and speech to check our level of intelligence. These put together gave me the percentage I needed alongside my performance on the night of the event.
What thrills you most about being a beauty queen?
In exception of wearing gorgeous dresses, having queenly looks and Italian shoes, there is this unexplainable joy I feel when I see people come around me, especially children who come to say hello to me. Inquisitive kids keep asking intelligent questions, the warm welcome I get when I grace glamorous events or when I travel to important places. It’s just so amazing.
Most beauty queens dump their boyfriends because they believe their class has changed, what’s your love life like now?
I wasn’t in a relationship when I became queen and I wish not to have a boyfriend until my tenure is over. But to those beauty queens who already have a boyfriend before they were crowned, I don’t think it’s the best thing to dump your guy because if you have a very supportive boyfriend even in your career, it is best you keep than ditch him. Remember your tenure only lasts for one year.
When your tenure is over, what would you like to be remembered for?
I want to be remembered as the queen that was able to touch lives of children in the rural areas positively.
What were those things you used to do that you would drop now that you are a role model?
Not much has changed about me. I’m still cool-headed, no difference; there is no pretence.
What are your duties as Tourism queen?
In fulfilment of the requirements for the award as ‘Miss Tourism Nigeria-Universe’, I’m working on my first pet project tagged, ‘The right to child education and The Spelling Bee exercise’ for children between ages eight and 13. It’s also my duty to promote my state, country’s tourism potential, cultural heritage to visitors and residents alike, encourage return visits; above all present an overall positive image of my country as I go to places.
What is your advice to parents who believe beauty pageant is unnecessary exposure to girls towards prostitution?
It’s important for parents to have a very good personal relationship with their girls by making them their best friends. This makes it easier to influence them positively even as they present themselves to the society.
Beauty pageants do not expose girls to prostitution or immoral acts; rather it builds their self-confidence to be unique and to let their individuality shine. It makes them stand out from the crowd. It makes them urge to aspire for something the world will celebrate them for and gives them a unique sense of style and, above all, brilliant ideas in dealing with people and issues as they become conscious in handling humans. I will say I am a testimony to that because I had the full support of my parents during my quest. Pageantry builds great potential, it does not destroy.
What has been the benefit of being a queen?
Being a queen has been a wonderful journey for me; I speak and people listen. I’ve been to places within my country, unimaginable places with beautiful sites and character. I’ve met with dignitaries and royalties who have celebrated and welcomed me warmly. I’ve sat with very wonderful kids aspiring to be queens someday and, above all, it had inspired me to unveil my own clothing line.
Talking about dress sense, what stands you out in a crowd?
Adding a little old school African touch to my appearance makes all the difference. I’m always complimented for it.
When you’re down, how do you derive your inspiration?
I watch E entertainment TV, Fashion TV and cartoons to laugh out the stress. Watching ladies flaunt dresses on stage or runways inspires and lightens me. I love adorable dresses.
Can you define your style?
I have passion for African clothes.
Which of the beauty queens are you aspiring to be like?
Our own Agbani Derego; the first Nigerian and first black African woman to win the Prestigious ‘Miss World’ crown on November 17, 2001 in South Africa, Sun City.
She is an ideal black woman with a difference, a down-to-earth lady, who has touched the lives of many children worldwide. For her good conduct, she has change the perception of many Nigerians that beauty contest is for the morally bankrupt by. I admire her strength, courage, intelligence and volunteering charitable works, caring for the sick, poor, and downtrodden in the society. Her visit to Ethiopia where she took adequate care of girls who were suffering from Vesco Virginia Festula, VVF disease, contributing her quota towards ameliorating their problems and advising them on the effects of early marriage, speaks volumes. She is indeed an ideal black woman that inspires my heart.
When you are set to attend red carpet event, what do you bear in mind while dressing?
When gracing the red carpet, I always want to look interesting so that people would be interested in me. I must look fashionable. My hairdo, facial appearance, dress, shoes, bag and accessories must fit into place so that lights and cameras would become mine (laughs).
What are the qualities of your ideal man
My ideal man must be strong, bold and intelligent. He should be able to tell me the truth at all times even if it hurts. He shouldn’t be too religious but God-fearing. He should love me for who I am and pamper me. He has to be full of smiles and tell me it will be okay even when it seems difficult. Above all, he should be a little bit shy around me.
What are those mistakes some past beauty queens made that you would never wish to make?
I can’t possibly know all beauty queens ever but the few ex-queens I’ve met have been adorable and of good conduct and positive role models. I will be like them.
As queen, are you still interested in settling down soon?
Marriage is important even as I pursue my career as a queen, I won’t remain single forever. All I need is perfect timing to settle down. Marriage gives a lady honour in life.
 What is your life philosophy?
If you don’t plan for the future early, you will be left with no choice but to accept the future that comes your way
What lesson has life taught you?
Life has taught me to have enough love to forgive those who have hurt me, never be quick to judge others. I have learned to live simple, expect little and smile always because it heals emotional pains

No comments:

Post a Comment